Insha Allah today we will study together Ayat 36-40 from Surah Ar-Rum (30)36. And when We cause mankind to taste of mercy, they rejoice therein; but when some evil afflicts them because of what their hands have sent forth, behold, they are in despair!
37. Do they not see that Allah expands the provision for whom He wills and straitens (it) for whom He wills.
38. Verily, in that are indeed signs for a people who believe. So, give to the kindred his due, and to Al-Miskin and to the wayfarer. That is best for those who seek Allah's Face; and it is they who will be successful.
39. And that which you give in Riba in order that it may increase from other people's property, has no increase with Allah; but that which you give in Zakah seeking Allah's Face, then those they shall have manifold increase.
40. Allah is He Who created you, then provided food for you, then will cause you to die, then He will give you life. Is there any of your partners that do anything of that Glory be to Him! And Exalted be He above all that they associate. Lessons derived:
1. We rejoice at every Grace and Mercy bestowed upon us but we forget the source and thus do not show gratitude.
2. When some evil touches us we fall into despair instead of showing patience. Misfortunate affects us through our own deeds.
3. We do not understand Allah Subhanahu wa Ta’ala Wisdom and both the Mercy and Hardship are test and both are subjected to Allah’s Will.
4. Only a true believer will understand these signs.
5. We are also ordered to share the wealth Allah bestowed upon us with our relatives, and help the poor and traveller in need. We must realize that the wealth at our disposal is actually a trust from Allah Subhanahu wa Ta’ala.
6. We are forbidden to increase our wealth thru usury and encouraged to give Zakah as it should be our desire to seek Allah’s Face. This actually guarantees increase in wealth in this world and abundance reward in the Hereafter.
7. Allah is our Creator and Provider, causes us to die and will give us life (resurrection). The last Ayah emphasizes that we cannot dispute over this issue as we all acknowledge that Allah is the sole Creator and Provider. He is the Creator and Provider for all His creations be it an insect or man.
Note: The Tafsir of Ayah 39 – giving Riba’ - This means, that which is given as a gift to others in the hope that they will give back more than they were given. There is no reward for this with Allah. (Tafsir ibn Kathir)May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta’ala keep us on the Path of Tawhid and protect us from falling in Shirk Ameen!