The Wonderful Library & Islamic Resource Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wonderful Library & Islamic Resource Center

World of Islamic Dawah: Islamic Library & Resource Center

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

As-Salaamu alaikum and welcome readers. Please check our Portal for regular updates and news. Dear readers, you may have noticed that some of our graphics are not showing. We are busy updating broken links and would like to apologise for any inconvenience.

We sincerely apologize for the Advertisements which are beyond our control. May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala forgive us for our shortcomings.

Why not try our Weekly Islamic Quiz?

Chapter 05 - The Wedding Banquet (Walimah)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Amy-Amatullah
Bookroom Assistant
Bookroom Assistant
Amy-Amatullah

Chapter 05 - The Wedding Banquet (Walimah) Empty
PostSubject: Chapter 05 - The Wedding Banquet (Walimah)   Chapter 05 - The Wedding Banquet (Walimah) EmptyWed May 29, 2013 11:38 am

bismillah1

Chapter 5

The Wedding Banquet (Walimah)

1073. Anas bin Malik radiyallahu anhu narrated that the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa saw Abdur Rahmiin bin 'Auf with traces of saffron on his clothes. He thereupon asked him, "What is that?" "Abdur Rahman answered, 'I married an Ansari woman for a Nawat (five Dirhams) of gold.' The Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa said to him, "May Allah bless you. Make a Walimah (wedding banquet) even with only one sheep." Agreed upon and the wording is from Muslim.

divider

1074. Ibn 'Umar radiyallahu anhu narrated that the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa said, "When one of you is invited to a Walimah, he should accept the invitation." Agreed upon.

In a version by Muslim, "When one of you is invited by his brother, he must accept the invitation, whether it be a
wedding banquet or something similar."

divider

1075. Abu Hurairah radiyallahu anhu narrated that the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa said, "The worst food is that of a Walimah from which is turned away whoever comes to it (i.e. the poor), and to which is invited whoever refuses (to come, i.e. the rich). He who does not accept the invitation has disobeyed Allah and His Messenger." Related by Muslim.

divider

1076. Abu Hurairah radiyallahu anhu narrated that the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa said, "If anyone is invited (to a Walimah) he must accept the invitation. If he is fasting, he should invoke Allah (i.e. making invocation for the one who invited him) and if he is not fasting, he should eat." Related by Muslim.

divider

1077. Muslim has also transmitted on the authority of Jabir radiyallahu anhu a similar tradition that goes, "If he wishes to eat he could do so, and if he does not he may abstain from eating.

divider

1078. Ibn Masud radiyallahu anhu narrated that the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa said, "The food of a Wali'mah offered on the first day (of marriage) is a duty, and that offered on the second day is Sunnah (i.e.just preferable) and the food of the third day is a sign of showing off (and hypocrisy), if anyone does something just to show off, Allah will slander him(316) (publicly in this life or in the Hereafter)." Related by At-Tirmidhi.

316. Imam Al-Bukhari said that the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa did not specify a day for the Walimah, and for those who could not come the first day could come later, unless what he means in this Hadith is those who do it for the sake of showing off and out of hypocrisy and not to follow the Sunnah.

divider

1079. A similar tradition is related by Ibn Majah on the authority of Anas.

divider

1080. Safiyah bint Shaibah radiyallah anha narrated that the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa gave a banquet with two Mudds of barley when he married some of his wives.' Related by al-Bukhari.

divider

1081. Anas radiyallahu anhu narrated, 'The Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa stayed for three nights at a place between Khaibar and Madinah, and there he consummated his marriage with Safiyah. I invited the Muslims to his Walimah that included neither meat nor bread. It was only that the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa ordered that some dining sheets be spread, and dates, dried cheese and clarified butter were provided on it.' Agreed upon and the wording is from Al-Bukhari.

divider

1082. A Companion narrated that the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa ; said, "If two people invite you at the same time to a Walimah, accept the invitation of the one whose door is closer to you (i.e. the closest neighbor). But if one of them comes before the other, accept the invitation of the one who came first." Related by Aba Dawud with a weak chain of narrators.

divider

1083. Abu Juhaifah radiyallahu anhu narrated that the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa said, "I do not eat while I am reclining." Related by Al-Bukhari.

divider

1084. 'Umar bin Aba Salamah radiyallahu anhu narrated that the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa said to me, "Young man, say Bismillah (mention the Name of Allah) before you eat, eat with your right hand and eat from what is next to you." Agreed upon.

divider

1085. Ibn' Abbas radiyallahu anhu narrated, 'The Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa was brought a bowl of Tharid (crumbled bread, soup and meat), so he said, "Eat from the sides and not from the middle (of the dish) for the blessing descends in the middle of it." Related by the four Imams with a sound chain of narrators. The wording is from an-Nasa'i.

divider

1086. Abu Hurairah radiyallahu anhu narrated, 'The Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa never showed a sign of dissatisfaction towards any food (presented to him). When he liked something he would eat it, but if he disliked it he did not touch it." Agreed upon.

divider

1087. Jabir radiyallahu anhu narrated that the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa said, "Do not eat with your left hand, for the devil eats with his left hand." Related by Muslim.

divider

1088. Abu Qatadah radiyallahu anhu narrated that the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa said, "When anyone of you drinks, he should not breathe into the vessel (he is drinking from)," Agreed upon.

divider

1089. Abu Dawud related a similar narration on the authority of Ibn 'Abbas radiyallahu anhu but with the addition, "or blows in it." At-Tirmidhi graded it as Sahih.

Back to top Go down

Chapter 05 - The Wedding Banquet (Walimah)
Page 1 of 1