The Wonderful Library & Islamic Resource Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wonderful Library & Islamic Resource Center

World of Islamic Dawah: Islamic Library & Resource Center

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

As-Salaamu alaikum and welcome readers. Please check our Portal for regular updates and news. Dear readers, you may have noticed that some of our graphics are not showing. We are busy updating broken links and would like to apologise for any inconvenience.

We sincerely apologize for the Advertisements which are beyond our control. May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala forgive us for our shortcomings.

Why not try our Weekly Islamic Quiz?

Whoever ate and drank after Fajr time began has no Fast

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zaza
Librarian
Librarian
Zaza

Whoever ate and drank after Fajr time began has no Fast Empty
PostSubject: Whoever ate and drank after Fajr time began has no Fast   Whoever ate and drank after Fajr time began has no Fast EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 1:12 pm

As Salamu Alaikum

Question

Regarding the voluntary fasting, I intended to fast on Monday, but after the Athan of Fajr, I got up and drank. Is it allowed for me to complete my fast due to that, and is it counted for me or not? And whoever ate or drank after the Athan for a voluntary fast, can he complete his day or not? Please benefit me with an answer, and may Allah reward you with good.

Answer

The obligation of the fasting person if his fast is obligatory is that he refrains from food and drink and the other things that break the fast after verifying the entry of the time of Fajr himself. He may also verify the entry of Fajr by hearing the Athan of the caller who normally calls the Athan after Fajr comes or he may base his verification on charts that list the times of the entry of Fajr. This is due to Allah's Statement:

"And eat and drink until the white thread of dawn becomes distinct to you from the black thread. Then complete the fast until night.” (Surah Al-Baqarah 2: 187)

This is also due to the Prophet's (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) statement:

"Verily, Bilal calls the Athan at night so eat and drink until Ibn Umm Maktum makes the call.” (Al-Bukhari no 617)

He (Ibn Umm Maktum) was a blind man who would not give the call to prayer until it was said to him, "Morning has come, morning has come." This narration is agreed upon (in Al-Bukhari and Muslim). Thus, if a person eats after that or drinks or does anything that would break the fast, his fast is nullified.

In reference to one who is fasting a voluntary fast, his fast is not complete unless he refrains from eating, drinking and the other things that break the fast from the time when Fajr time enters, just like the one who is fasting an obligatory fast. If he eats or drinks or does anything that would break the fast after Fajr time enters or after the Athan that is made at the time of Fajr's entry, then he no fast. However, the person fasting a voluntary fast differs from the person fasting a obligatory fast in that it is permissible for him to start his fast during the daytime if he did not do anything that would break the fast after Fajr time began. The reward for fasting is written for him from the time that he had intention to fast. This is due to the statement of Aishah (Radhi Allahu Anha):

The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) entered upon us one day and said:

'Do you all have anything (to eat)?' We replied, 'No.' Then he said:

'Then verily I am fasting. '

Then he came to us on another day and we said: 'We have been given some Hais (a mixture of dates and clarified butter) as a gift.' So, he said:

'Show it to me, for verily I have been fasting since morning.’

Then he ate it." This was recorded by Muslim.

Then, there is also his statement:

"Actions are only with intentions, and every man will on[y get what he intended.” (Al-Bukhari no 1 and Muslim no 1907)

This is agreed upon.

And success is from Allah.

Shaikh Ibn Baz (Rahimahullah)

Reference: Fatawa Islamiyah Volume 3 Pages 254-256

Back to top Go down

Whoever ate and drank after Fajr time began has no Fast
Page 1 of 1