The Wonderful Library & Islamic Resource Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wonderful Library & Islamic Resource Center

World of Islamic Dawah: Islamic Library & Resource Center

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

As-Salaamu alaikum and welcome readers. Please check our Portal for regular updates and news. Dear readers, you may have noticed that some of our graphics are not showing. We are busy updating broken links and would like to apologise for any inconvenience.

We sincerely apologize for the Advertisements which are beyond our control. May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala forgive us for our shortcomings.

Why not try our Weekly Islamic Quiz?

The ruling of Az-Zakah on Jewellery, Diamonds and precious Stones

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zaza
Librarian
Librarian
Zaza

The ruling of Az-Zakah on Jewellery, Diamonds and precious Stones Empty
PostSubject: The ruling of Az-Zakah on Jewellery, Diamonds and precious Stones   The ruling of Az-Zakah on Jewellery, Diamonds and precious Stones EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 10:04 pm

salaam

Question

I am a married woman and I am almost 30 years old. For approximately 24 years I have had pieces of gold that are not kept for business. They are only for beautification and some times I sell them. Then I add some money to their price and buy better jewelry. Now I have some jewellery and I have herd that it is obligatory to pay Az-Zakah on gold that is kept for beautification. Thus, I would like a clarification of this matter for myself. If Az-Zakah was obligatory on me what is the ruling of the past period of time during which I did not pay Az-Zakah on the jewellery? This is while keeping in mind that I am not able to estimate the amount of gold that I had during all of these long years.

Answer

Az-Zakah is obligatory on you from the time you knew it was obligatory on you to pay Az-Zakah on jewellery. Whatever occurred before that in the previous years before your knowledge of this, then you do not have to pay Az-Zakah for it. This is because the Islamic laws only become obligatory after they are known. The amount that must be paid is 2.5% if the jewellery reaches the minimum amount required for Az-Zakah, which is 20 Mithqal (gold). This is equivalent to 11.5 Saudi Junayhs. If gold jewellery reaches this amount or more, then Az-Zakah must be paid on it. For every 1000 Junayhs, 25 Junayhs is due. In reference to silver, its minimum amount before Az-Zakah is due is 140 Mithqal, which is equivalent to it of monetary currency. The amount that must be paid is 2.5% just like with gold.

In reference to diamond and other stones, no Zakah is due on them if they are for wearing. However, if they are for sale, then Az-Zakah is obligatory on them according to their value in gold and silver if they reach the minimum amount required for Az-Zakah. And Allaah is the Giver of success.

Shaikh Ibn Baz (Rahimahullah)

Reference: Fatawa Islamiyah Volume 3 Pages 178-179

Back to top Go down
Zaza
Librarian
Librarian
Zaza

The ruling of Az-Zakah on Jewellery, Diamonds and precious Stones Empty
PostSubject: Re: The ruling of Az-Zakah on Jewellery, Diamonds and precious Stones   The ruling of Az-Zakah on Jewellery, Diamonds and precious Stones EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 10:09 pm

:
assalamou:

Az-Zakah on Jewellery is obligatory on its Owner

Question

My wife has gold that she wears that reaches the minimum amount required for Az-Zakah. Is there any Zakah due on it? Is paying its Zakah obligatory on me or on my wife? Is Az-Zakah given from the jewellery itself or is its value determined and then Az-Zakah paid according to the value?

Answer

Az-Zakah is obligatory on jewellery that is made of gold and silver if its weight reaches the minimum amount required for Az-Zakah, which is 20 Mithqal of gold and 140 Mithqal of silver. The minimum amount of gold in the current currency is equal to 11 (and three sevenths) Saudi Junayhs. If the gold jewellery reaches this amount or more, Az-Zakah must be paid on it, even if it is only for wearing according to the most correct view of the scholars.

The minimum amount of silver required for Az-Zakah is 56 Saudi Riyals (of silver). If the silver jewellery reaches this amount or more, Az-Zakah must be paid on it. The amount of Az-Zakah to be paid is 2.5% of gold, silver and sale merchandise. This is 2½ out of 100 or 25 out of 1000. Any amount more than this is calculated in this way.

Az-Zakah is due upon the woman who owns the jewellery. If her husband or other than him pays it on her behalf with her permission, there is nothing wrong with that. It is not obligatory to give the Zakah from the jewellery itself. Rather, it suffices to pay its value every time a year passes on it. This is according to the value of gold and silver in the market at the completion of the year’s time. And Allaah is the Giver of success.

Shaikh Ibn Baz (Rahimahullah)

Reference: Fatawa Islamiyah Volume 3 Pages 180-181

Back to top Go down

The ruling of Az-Zakah on Jewellery, Diamonds and precious Stones
Page 1 of 1