The Wonderful Library & Islamic Resource Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wonderful Library & Islamic Resource Center

World of Islamic Dawah: Islamic Library & Resource Center

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

As-Salaamu alaikum and welcome readers. Please check our Portal for regular updates and news. Dear readers, you may have noticed that some of our graphics are not showing. We are busy updating broken links and would like to apologise for any inconvenience.

We sincerely apologize for the Advertisements which are beyond our control. May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala forgive us for our shortcomings.

Why not try our Weekly Islamic Quiz?

Belief in the Last Day

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zaza
Librarian
Librarian
Zaza

Belief in the Last Day Empty
PostSubject: Belief in the Last Day   Belief in the Last Day EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 7:45 pm

As Salamu Alaikum

Belief in the Last Day

Belief in the Last Day is the fifth pillar of Iman, and what it means is that we must believe with certainty in all that Allah informed us in His Book, and, all that the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) informed us about regarding what happens after death. This includes the following - the trial of the grave, the punishment and reward in the grave, resurrection, the gathering of mankind for accountability, the judgement, the Scale of deeds, the Hawdh (special basin granted to the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) in the Hereafter, from which the believers will drink), the path, intercession, Paradise, Hell, and all that Allah prepared in these two abodes for their dwellers.

Proofs indicating that it is compulsory to Believe in The Last Day

1) Allah Almighty says:

Verily! Those who believe and those who are Jews and Christians, and Sabians - whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day and does righteous good deeds - shall have their reward with their Lord, on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve. (Surah Al-Baqarah 2: 62)

2) Allah Almighty says:

It is not AI-Birr (piety, righteousness) that you turn your faces towards east and (or) west (in prayers); but AI-Birr is (the quality of) the one who believes in Allah, the Last Day, the Angels, the Book, the Prophets and gives his wealth, in spite of love for it, to the kinsfolk, to the orphans, and to AI¬-Masakin (the poor), and to the wayfarer, and to those who ask, and to set slaves free, performs As-Salat, and gives the Zakat, and who fulfill their covenant when they make it, and who are As-Sabirin (the patient ones, etc.) in extreme poverty and ailment (disease) and at the time of fighting (during the battles). Such are the people of the truth and they are the pious. (Surah Al-Baqarah 2: 177)

3) Allah Almighty says regarding the Resurrection:

Then (again), surely, you will be resurrected on the Day of Resurrection. (Surah Al-Mu’minun 23: 16)

4) When Jibril (Alayhi Salam), asked the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) about Iman, he (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said:

To believe in Allah, His Angels, His Books, His Messengers, the Last Day, and to believe in Divine Preordainment, both the good and bad of it. (Recorded by Muslim)

Belief in the Last Day Div35

The Punishment of the Grave, and its Pleasures

There are so many Ahadith related from the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) regarding the questions of the two angels, the punishment of the grave, and its pleasures that these are positively established realities. Therefore believing in them is obligatory. One is punished in the grave if he deserves punishment, and one is given bliss if that is what he deserves. Whichever the case, one will be recompensed in the grave, regardless of whether he is buried or not, or whether he is eaten up in his grave, or whether he is cremated, or whether he drowned and is at the bottom of the sea, and so on. The proofs that establish recompense in the grave are many - from them are the following:

l) Allah Almighty says:

Allah will keep firm those who believe, with the word that stands firm in this world (i.e., they will keep on worshipping Allah Alone and none else), and in the Hereafter. And Allah will cause to go astray those who are wrongdoers, and Allah does what He wills. (Surah Ibrahim 14:27)

"With the word that stands firm ... and in the Hereafter": This is a proof that we will be asked in the graves (and those among us who believe and whom Allah favors will be blessed with "the word that stands firm").

2) Allah Almighty says:

The Fire; they are exposed to it, morning and afternoon, and on the Day when the Hour will be established (it will be said to the angels): "Cause Fir'awn's people to enter the severest torment!” (Surah Ghafir 40:46)

This verse proves that some people are punished in their graves.

3) Al-Bukhari recorded that Ibn 'Abbas, (Radhi Allahu Anhuma) said: "The Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) passed by two graves and said:

Indeed they are being punished, and they are not being punished for something that is great.

Then he said:

Indeed (for something that is great). As for one of them, he would spread tales in order to sow dissension among people; and as for the other, he would not properly protect himself from his urine.

The Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) then took a fresh stick, broke it in two, and drove each of the sticks on the grave, after which he (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said:

Perhaps their punishment will be lightened as long as they (the two sticks) do not get dry.

The Hour and its Signs

Allah Almighty says:

And with Him are the keys of the Ghaib (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. (Surah Al-An’am 6: 59)

The knowledge of when the Hour will arrive is that part of the unseen that only Allah knows about:

Verily, Allah! With Him (Alone) is the knowledge of the Hour. (Luqman 31:34)

There are many verses of the Qur'an, and sayings of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) that prove the coming of the Hour; among them are the following:

1) Allah Almighty says:

Verily, the Hour (Day of Judgement) is surely coming, therein is no doubt, yet most men believe not. (Surah Ghafir 40: 59)

2) The Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said:

The time in which I have been sent and the Hour are like these two.

He (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) then joined his index finger with his middle one.

The Resurrection

The Resurrection means bringing life to the dead at the second blowing of the Trumpet, a time when people will stand - barefooted, naked, and uncircumcised. Allah Almighty says:

As We began the first creation, We shall repeat it, (it is) a promise binding upon Us. Truly, We shall do it. (Surah Al-Anbiya’ 21: 104)

The Qur'an, the Sunnah, and the consensus of the Muslims establish the truth of the Resurrection. In the Qur'an, Allah Almighty says:

[color=black] After that, surely you will die. Then (again), surely you will be resurrected on the Day of Resurrection. (Surah Al-Mu’minun 23: 15-16)

As for the Sunnah, the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said:

Then Allah will send water from the sky, and you will grow just like vegetables grow.

And the Muslims unanimously agree that it is the truth.

The Gathering

After people will rise from their graves, they will be steered to the land of the Gathering. Allah Almighty says:

On the Day when the earth shall be cleft, from off them, (they will come out) hastening forth. That will be a gathering, quite easy for Us. (Surah Qaf 50:44)

And you will see the earth as a leveled plain, and we shall gather them all together so as to leave not one of them behind. (Surah Al-Kahf 18: 47)

And the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said:

The people will be gathered on the Day of Judgement, and they will be barefooted, naked, and uncircumcised.

To continue Insha Allah
Back to top Go down
Zaza
Librarian
Librarian
Zaza

Belief in the Last Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belief in the Last Day   Belief in the Last Day EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 8:53 pm

As Salamu Alaikum

The Reckoning

This means that Allah will show man the deeds he performed in this world, and he will admit what he did; at that time, people will take the rights that are due to them from others, and all of that is most easy for Allah. That the accountability and judgement will take place is proven by many verses from the Qur'an, as well as Ahadith of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) such as these two verses:

Then surely, We shall question those (people) to whom it (the Book) was sent and verily, We shall question the Messengers. (Surah Al-A’raf 7: 6)

And they will be set before your Lord in (lines as) rows, (and Allah will say): "Now indeed, you have come to Us as We created you the first time.” (Surah Al-Kahf 18:48)

Allah will Himself take account of man's deeds, for 'Adi bin Hatim (Radhi Allahu Anhu), related that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said:

There is not one from you except that Allah will speak to him; there will not be between Him (Allah) and him any interpreter. He (man) will look to his right and see only that which he put forth; he will look to his left and see only that which he put forth. And he will look before him and will see only the Hellfire, which will reach his face. So, protect yourselves from the Fire, even if you do so with part of a date (by giving it in charity). (Recorded by Al-Bukhari)

The Hawdh

The Hawdh is a huge basin from which the nation of Muhammad (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam)will drink, except for those who went against his guidance and who changed his religion after him. As the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) was among his Companions (Radhi Allahu Anhum), he said:

I am at the Hawdh waiting for whoever from you comes to me (to drink); by Allah, some men will be blocked from coming to me, and I will say, "My Lord, they are from me and from my nation." It will be said, "Indeed, you do not know what they did after you; they continued to go back on their heels." (Recorded by Al-Bukhari)

This Hadith establishes the reality of the Hawdh and that people who innovate in religion or people who go against the guidance of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) will be prevented from drinking from it. The Hadiths regarding the Hawdh are so many that its existence is positively established. 'Abdul-Malik bin 'Umair said, "I heard Jundub (Radhi Allahu Anhu) saying, 'I heard the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) say:

I am your predecessor at the Hawdh.'" (Recorded by Al¬-Bukhari)

The Scale (or The Balance)

A scale is an apparatus for weighing things. The Scale of the Hereafter is real: it has two real pans upon which the deeds of Allah's worshippers will be placed. The Scale exhibits Allah's justice, for He doesn't wrong any soul. So Allah will bring forth the deeds of men, including deeds that in weight are equal to a grain or a mustard seed. Those deeds will be weighed: one will be rewarded according to the results of the weighing. The Scale of deeds may be one or many, and Allah is capable over all things. Here are two of the proofs that establish the reality of the Scale:

1) Allah Almighty says:

And We shall set up Balances of justice on the Day of Resurrection, then none will be dealt with unjustly in anything. And if there be the weight of a mustard seed, We will bring it. And Sufficient are We as Reckoners. (Surah Al-Anbiya’ 21: 47)

2) The Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said:

Two words, beloved to the Most Merciful, light on the tongue, and heavy on the Scale: Subhaanallahi wa Biham¬dihee (How perfect Allah is and with His praise) and Subhaanallahil-‘Azeem (How perfect Allah, the Magnificent). (Recorded by Al-Bukhari)

The previous proofs establish the weighing of deeds on the Scale, the success that results from good deeds being heavy, and the loss that results from the good deeds being light.

As-Sirat

As-Sirat means the path, and here it refers to the bridge that is erected over the Hellfire and that leads to Paradise. All must pass over this bridge, and only by passing across it does one enter Paradise. The existence of the bridge is established in both the Qur'an and the Sunnah. Allah Almighty says:

There is not one of you but will pass over it (Hell); this is with your Lord, a Decree which must be accomplished. Then We shall save those who use to fear Allah and were dutiful to Him. And We shall leave the wrongdoers therein (humbled) to their knees (in Hell). (Surah Maryam 19: 71-72)

Abu Hurairah (Radhi Allahu Anhu), related in a long 'Hadith that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said:

And the Sirat is placed over the Hellfire. I and my nation will be the first to cross it. (Recorded by Muslim)

Ash-Shafa'ah (Intercession)

Ash-Shaf means to attach something to what is similar to it. And Ash-Shafa'ah signifies means or a request. Here it means to intercede for others to bring benefit or drive harm away.

In most cases, it is used to mean that someone who is higher in ranking or status intercedes for someone who is lower in ranking. And two conditions must be fulfilled for intercession to occur on the Day of Judgement with Allah:

1) That Allah gives permission to the intercessor to intercede. Allah Almighty says:

Who is he that can intercede with Him except with His Permission?
(Surah Al-Baqarah 2: 255)

2) That Allah is pleased with the one who is being interceded for. Allah Almighty says:

And they cannot intercede except for him with whom He is pleased. (Surah Al-Anbiya’ 21: 28)

Belief in the Last Day Div35

Categories of Intercession

There are Two Categories of Intercession:

- The first is specific to the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam)

- The second is general - for him (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) and for others.

The First Category includes the Following

1) The greater intercession; it is specific to the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) and it is the highest position of praise and glory that Allah promised him:

It may be that your Lord will raise you to Maqam Mahmud (the highest position of praise and glory).
(Surah Al-Isra’ 17: 79)

This refers to when the standing becomes difficult for the people on the Day or Judgement, and they will be searching for intercession. They will go in succession to Adam, Ibrahim, Musa, and then to 'Iesa (Alayhum Salam)- all of these Prophets will say, "Myself, myself." Then finally, they will reach our Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) who will say:

I am to do this. (Recorded by Al-Bukhari)

2) Intercession for entering Paradise: Anas bin Malik (Radhi Allahu Anhu), related that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said:

I am the first of people to intercede regarding Paradise and among the Prophets I have the most followers. (Recorded by Muslim)

3) The Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) will intercede to have punishment lightened for his uncle, Abu Talib. Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri (Radhi Allahu Anhu) related that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) mentioned his uncle Abu Talib to him, and then he (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said:

Perhaps my intercession will benefit him on the Day of Judgement, so that he is placed in a shallow part of the Fire, and from it his brain will boil.

However, as one who died not upon Tawhid, he will not benefit from intercession to the extent of being taken out of the Hellfire.

And Allah knows best.

The Second Category consists of the Following

1) Intercession for those people of Tawhid who perpetrated great sins, people who were placed in the Hellfire but are then taken out of it. This kind of intercession has been related by a great many sources in Ahadith, so many so that its occurrence is positively established. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) will intercede many times for the people of this category; other intercessors in this case are the angels, the Prophets, and the believers.

The Mu'tazilah and the Khawarij, two deviant sects, reject this category of intercession. They reject it based on their false belief that one who perpetrates great sins is in the Hellfire for eternity, thus making intercession useless in his case.

2) Intercession will occur for the people of Paradise, that they may be raised to a position higher than the one that their situation calls for.

3) Some people will be interceded for, so that they can enter Paradise without being reckoned. When 'Ukashah bin Mihsan (Radhi Allahu Anhu) asked the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) to supplicate for him to make him from the seventy thousand who will enter Paradise without reckoning, the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said:

O Allah, make him from them.

Paradise And Hell

Paradise is the abode that Allah prepared for the righteous ones to inhabit in the Hereafter.

Hell is the abode that Allah prepared for the disbelievers to inhabit in the Hereafter.

Both of them are created and exist now, for Allah Almighty says about Paradise:

Prepared for the pious (Surah Aal ‘Imran 3:133)

And about Hell:

For the disbelievers. (Surah Aal ‘Imran 3:131)

When the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) prayed the Eclipse Prayer, he (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said:

Indeed I have seen Paradise and I reached for a cluster from it. Were I to have taken it, you would have eaten from it as long as the world would remain. I also saw the Hellfire, and I have never seen anything more horrible than it. (Agreed upon)

Paradise and Hellfire will never cease to exist, for Allah Almighty says:

Their reward with their Lord is 'Adn (Eden) Paradise (Gardens of Eternity, underneath which rivers flow, they will abide therein forever. (Surah Al-Bayyinah 98: 8)

Belief in the Last Day Div31b
Back to top Go down

Belief in the Last Day
Page 1 of 1