The Wonderful Library & Islamic Resource Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wonderful Library & Islamic Resource Center

World of Islamic Dawah: Islamic Library & Resource Center

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

As-Salaamu alaikum and welcome readers. Please check our Portal for regular updates and news. Dear readers, you may have noticed that some of our graphics are not showing. We are busy updating broken links and would like to apologise for any inconvenience.

We sincerely apologize for the Advertisements which are beyond our control. May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala forgive us for our shortcomings.

Why not try our Weekly Islamic Quiz?

Surah Al-Takathur (102)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zaza
Librarian
Librarian
Zaza

Surah Al-Takathur (102) Empty
PostSubject: Surah Al-Takathur (102)   Surah Al-Takathur (102) EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 5:59 pm

As Salamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

Surat At-Takathur

Surah Al-Takathur (102) Sur102impless

In the Name of Allah , the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful

1. The mutual rivalry for piling up, of worldly things diverts you.

2. Until you visit the graves. (i.e. till you die)

3. Nay! You shall come to know!

4. Again, nay! You shall come to know!

5. Nay! if you knew with a sure knowledge (the end result of piling up, you would not have occupied yourself in worldly
things).

6. Verily, you shall see the blazing Fire (Hell)!

7. And again, You Shall see it with certainty of sight!

8. Then, on that Day you shall be asked about the delight (you indulged in, in this world)

Its Name

It is called Surah At-Takathur because of the mention of the mutual rivalry for piling up. It means: "You busy yourselves with boasting, by deeds, children, and servants."

The Subject Matter of This Makkan Surah

Deeds done purely for this world are condemned; we are warned not to avoid preparing for the Hereafter, which is why this Surah
includes three major points:

1) It explains that some people become so occupied with the pleasures and temptations of this world that they will remain in
such a state until death overtakes them:

The mutual rivalry for piling up of worldly things diverts you, until you visit the graves (i.e. until you die) (Ayah 1-2)

2) We are given notice that we will be asked about all of our deeds on the Day of Judgement:

Nay! You shall come to know! Again, nay! You shall come to know! (Ayah 3-4)

3) We are informed that we will see the Hellfire with certainty of sight; at that time, when we witness the horrors of the Fire, we will be asked about the pleasures of this world.

Nay! If you knew with a sure knowledge (the end result of piling up, you would not have occupied yourselves in worldly things). (Ayah 6)

Its Relation To What is Before it

Surah Al-Qari'ah deals with some of the awesome events that will take place on the Day of Judgement; then it discusses the rewards awaiting those who will be eternally happy and those who will be eternally miserable. In this Surah, one of the reasons why some people deserve eternal miser, and the Fire is given - the perpetration of sins and preoccupation with worldly matters rather than with the religion. This Surah in very clear terms, warns us that we will be held responsible in the Hereafter for our actions in this world.

In What Context Was This Surah Revealed

In Sahih Muslim it is recorded that Mutarraf related that his father said, "As I approached the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam), he was reciting Al-Haakumut-Takaathur. He then said:

The son of Adam says, "My wealth, my wealth!" 0, son of Adam! Do you have other than that which you ate and depleted, that which you wore and worn out, and that which you gave in charity and preserved. Everything else is fleeting, and being left for the people (i.e., heirs).

The Meaning Of Its Words

Al-Haakum:
It keeps you so busy and occupied that you turn away from obedience to Allah Almighty.

At-Takaathur:
i.e., flaunting and showing-off because one has a lot of wealth.

Hatta-Zurtumul-Maqaabir:
You will continue to be preoccupied in accumulating and flaunting wealth until you die and are transported to your grave.

Kalla:
You must not do that, so leave your preoccupation of amassing wealth.

Sawfa Ta’lamoon:
When you enter your- graves, you will know that you made a huge mistake by boasting about your wealth and your children.

Kalla:
here it means: "Truly!"

Law Ta'lamoona 'Ilmal-Yaqeen:
If you knew results of amassing wealth with certainty, then you would not boast of the wealth you possess.

Latarawunnal-Jaheem:
You will indeed see the Hellfire .

Yawma'ithin:
On the day that you will see the Hellfire with certainty of sight.

'Anin-Na'eem:
(You will be asked) about the blessings you enjoyed, such as health, free time, safety, food, and drink.

To continue Insha Allah
Back to top Go down
Zaza
Librarian
Librarian
Zaza

Surah Al-Takathur (102) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surah Al-Takathur (102)   Surah Al-Takathur (102) EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 6:10 pm

As Salamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

The Meaning in Summary

Allah Almighty begins the Surah by mentioning those who are so busy in amassing wealth to compete and boast that they turn away from obedience to Allah Almighty and His Messenger Sallalahu aleihi wa These are people who will die without producing any good deeds for themselves, deeds that would have served them in the Hereafter.

Allah Almighty mentions that such people will continue on their evil path until they die; then they are transported to their graves and will stay therein until the Day of Judgement, the time of recompense. He warns us that we should avoid this path, a path that leads to our destruction and ultimate loss.

"You shall come to know". i.e., we shall come to know the evil results of turning away from the obedience of Allah Almighty and His Messenger Sallalahu aleihi wa. And then in the next verse, Allah Almighty repeats the warning.

"Truly! If you knew with a sure knowledge'': Meaning, truly, if we knew what is awaiting us in the grave and in the Hereafter, we would not occupy ourselves with accumulating wealth.

Next, we are informed that we will see the Hellfire with our very eyes on the Day of Judgement: the disbeliever will see it and then roast in it; the believer will see it and then Allah Almighty will save him from it. Here, Allah Almighty says that without a doubt, we will all see the Hellfire.

And finally, we are told that on that Day, the Day we will see the Hellfire, the Day of Judgement, we will be asked about the pleasures we enjoyed in this world, such as health, free time, safety, food, and drink. Whoever is grateful for those pleasures will be saved; whoever is not grateful will be held responsible. Some of the people of knowledge say that he will not be pardoned (for his ungratefulness) except for the garment that covers his private areas, for the piece of bread that saves him from hunger, and for the room that protects him from heat and cold.

In Sahih Muslim it is recorded that Abu Hurairah (Radhi Allahu Anhu) , said, "Allah's Messenger Sallalahu aleihi wa went out one day, or night. He met up with Abu Bakr and 'Umar (Radhi Allahu Anhum). He (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said to them:

"What has made you come out of your homes at this time'"

They said, "Hunger, O Messenger of Allah.'

He said:

"And I, by the One Who has my: soul in His hand, what has made me to come out is the same reason that has caused you to come out."

They continued with him until he approached the house of` a man from the Ansar, who was not at home. When the man’s wife saw them, she said,'Welcome." The Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said:

"Where is so and so.?"

She said, "He is gone to get some water for for us." At that point the man returned, and when he saw the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) and his two Companions, he said, ''All praise belongs to Allah, for no one has more honored guests with him today than I." 'The man went and returned with a cluster of ripe dates, unripe dates, and dried dates. He said, "Eat from this." The man took a knife intending to slaughter an animal, and the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said:

"Do not slaughter the one that gives milk."

He slaughtered a sheep for them, and they ate from the slaughter and from the dates and they drank as well -- until they became full. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said to Abu Bakr and 'Umar (Radhi Allahu Anhuma):

[color=green] "By the One Who has my soul in His hand, you will indeed be asked about the pleasures: of today on the Day of Judgemcnt. Hunger caused you to leave your homes and you would not have returned to your homes until you had been given these delights."

The name of the man from the Ansar is Malik bin At-Tayyihan, and is also known as Abul-Haitham, (Radhi Allahu Anhu).

In another authentic narration, he (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said:

The servant will not cease being questioned on the I)ay of Judgement until he is asked about his life and how he spent it; his youth and how he spent it; his knowledge and what he did because of it; and his wealth, and where he acquired it from and in what he spent it."

What Can Be Derived From These Verses

1) We are warned not to do two things at once: a) gathering wealth, b) not being thankful for it and not obeying Allah Almighty and His Messenger (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) for its sake.

2) Here, our belief in the punishment of the grave is affirmed and emphasized: “Until you visit the grave. Nay! You shall come to know!" Meaning, you shall come to know when you are in your grave.

3) Our belief in Resurrection and recompense is affirmed; we will be justly recompensed after we will be questioned for our deeds.

4) The worshipper of Allah will be asked regarding the blessings that Allah Almighty poured upon him in this world; if he was grateful here, he will be successful there; if he denied those favors here, he will be taken to account there.

And we seek protection in Allah Almighty.

Surah Al-Takathur (102) Div14a
Back to top Go down

Surah Al-Takathur (102)
Page 1 of 1