The Wonderful Library & Islamic Resource Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wonderful Library & Islamic Resource Center

World of Islamic Dawah: Islamic Library & Resource Center

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

As-Salaamu alaikum and welcome readers. Please check our Portal for regular updates and news. Dear readers, you may have noticed that some of our graphics are not showing. We are busy updating broken links and would like to apologise for any inconvenience.

We sincerely apologize for the Advertisements which are beyond our control. May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala forgive us for our shortcomings.

Why not try our Weekly Islamic Quiz?

Attributes and abilities of Angels

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zaza
Librarian
Librarian
Zaza

Attributes and abilities of Angels Empty
PostSubject: Attributes and abilities of Angels   Attributes and abilities of Angels EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 8:54 pm

Attributes and abilities of Angels 113710
Attributes and Abilities of Angels

They are honourable and obedient to Allaah

Almighty Allaah has described the angels as being honourable and obedient in the verse (which means):

"[The Quran being Carried] by the hands of messengers (angels) noble and dutiful." [Quran 80:15-16] Meaning, the Quran is in the hands of scribes, i.e., the angels, because they are the emissaries of Allaah to His Messengers and Prophets, may Allaah exalt their mention.

Allaah has described these angels as being "honourable and obedient", i.e., He has created them honourable, good and noble. Their actions are obedient, pure and perfect. Hence the one who learns the Quran by heart should be one whose actions and words are proper and correct.

The Messenger of Allaah Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--1 said:

"The one who reads the Quran and recites it perfectly will be with the honourable scribes (angels) and the one who reads the Quran and tries his best, and it is hard for him, will have his reward doubled." [Al-Bukhaari]

· They are modest

Among the attributes of the angels mentioned by the Messenger Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--1 is their modesty. `Aa'ishah Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon-5 said that the Messenger of Allaah Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--1 was lying down in his house with his thigh or his shin uncovered. Abu Bakr Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--3 asked for permission to come in, and he let him in and spoke with him whilst he was in that state. Then 'Umar Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--3 asked for permission to come in, and he let him in and spoke with him whilst he was in that state. Then `Uthmaan Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--3 asked for permission to come in, and the Messenger Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--1 sat up and rearranged his garment, then he let him come in and spoke with him. When he left, `Aa'ishah said: "Abu Bakr came in, and you did not stir or pay too much attention. Then 'Umar came in, and you did not stir or pay too much attention. Then `Uthmaan came in, and you sat up and fixed your garment." He said, "How could I not feel shy of a man of whom the angels feel shy?" [Muslim]

The phrase "you did not stir" means you did not welcome him warmly.

Khadeejah Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon-5 said to the Prophet Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--1: "… O cousin, can you inform me the next time your companion (i.e. Jibreel) comes to you?" He Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--1 said: "Indeed". She Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon-5 said: "Tell me if he comes." Later, when the Prophet Sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam was with her once, Jibreel came to him Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--1. Seeing him, the Prophet Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--1 said to Khadeejah Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon-5: "O Khadeejah, here comes Jibreel." She Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon-5 said: "Do you see him now?" He Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--1 answered in the affirmative. She Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon-5 said: "Come and sit on my right side." The Prophet Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--1 came and sat on her right side. Then she Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon-5 said: "Do you see him now?" the Prophet Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--1 said: "Yes". Then she Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon-5 asked the Prophet Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--1 to sit in her lap. When he Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--1 did, she Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon-5 asked him: "Do you still see him?" He Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--1 again said: "Yes." Then she Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon-5 uncovered her head while the Prophet Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--1 was still sitting in her lap and said: "Do you still see him?" He Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--1 said: "No" She Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon-5 said: "He is not a devil; he is nothing but an angel …" [Al-Bayhaqi]

That fact that Jibreel disappeared when Khadeejah Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon-5 uncovered her head shows that angels are modest and bashful.

· They are able to take on different forms

Almighty Allaah has given the angels the ability to take on forms different from their own. Allaah sent Jibreel (the angel Gabriel) to Maryam (Mary) in human form, as stated in the verse (which means):

"And mention, [O Muhammad], in the Book [the story of] Maryam (Mary), when she withdrew from her family to a place toward the east. And she took, in seclusion from them, a screen. Then We sent to her Our Angel [i.e. Jibreel], and he represented himself to her as a well-proportioned man. She said, “Indeed, I seek refuge in the Most Merciful from you, [so leave me], if you should be fearing of Allaah.” He said, “I am only the messenger of your Lord to give you [news of] a pure boy [i.e. Son].'" [Quran 19:16-19]

The angels came to Ibraaheem (Abraham) Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--2 in human form, and he did not know that they were angels until they told him who they really were, as stated in the verses (which mean):

"And certainly did Our messengers [i.e. angels] come to Ibraaheem (Abraham) with good tidings; they said, “Peace.” He said, “Peace,” and did not delay in bringing [them] a roasted calf. But when he saw their hands not reaching for it, he distrusted them and felt from them apprehension. They said, “Fear not. We have been sent to the people of Lot.” [Quran 11:70]

The angels came to the Prophet Lot Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--2 in the form of young men with handsome faces and he was grieved on account of them and feared that they may be harmed by his people, for they were an evil people who committed evil actions, and they used to commit sodomy. Almighty Allaah Says (what means):

"And when Our messengers, [the angels], came to Lot, he was anguished for them and felt for them great discomfort and said, “This is a trying day.'" [Quran 11:77]

Ibn Katheer Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--6 said: "The angels appeared to him (Prophet Lot) in the form of handsome young men as a test and a trial, so that proof might be established against the people of Loot, and Allaah might seize them with a mighty punishment." [Al-Bidaayah wan-Nihaayah, 1/43]

Jibreel used to come to the Messenger Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--1 in different forms. Sometimes he came in the form of Duhyah Ibn Khaleefah Al-Kalbi Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--3 (a companion who was of handsome appearance), and sometimes in the form of a Bedouin.

Many of the Prophet's companions Attributes and abilities of Angels Icon--4 saw him when he came in that form.

http://www.islamweb.net/ver2/archive/article.php?lang=E&id=136394
Back to top Go down

Attributes and abilities of Angels
Page 1 of 1