The Wonderful Library & Islamic Resource Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wonderful Library & Islamic Resource Center

World of Islamic Dawah: Islamic Library & Resource Center

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

As-Salaamu alaikum and welcome readers. Please check our Portal for regular updates and news. Dear readers, you may have noticed that some of our graphics are not showing. We are busy updating broken links and would like to apologise for any inconvenience.

We sincerely apologize for the Advertisements which are beyond our control. May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala forgive us for our shortcomings.

Why not try our Weekly Islamic Quiz?

Fasting in Ramadan, as observed by the Prophet, Sallalahu aleihi wa sallam.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Founder
Librarian.
Librarian.
Founder

Fasting in Ramadan, as observed by the Prophet, Sallalahu aleihi wa sallam. Empty
PostSubject: Fasting in Ramadan, as observed by the Prophet, Sallalahu aleihi wa sallam.   Fasting in Ramadan, as observed by the Prophet, Sallalahu aleihi wa sallam. EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 8:52 am

Assalamou aleikoum wa rhamatoullah wa barakatou

bismillah4

The following posts are extracted from the book authored by Sh. Saleem al Hilaalee and Sh. Alee Hasan Alee' Abdul-Hameed.

Fasting in Ramadan
As observed by the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa

Published by Al Hidayah.

Inshallah, I will type it all from now to Ramadan and, by the grace of Allah, will finish it.

If you have the means, buy it from any islamic bookstore or online. In Uk, it is priced at about 5.95 GBP. It is very reasonnable for a book that will be used time and time again.

Fasting in Ramadan, as observed by the Prophet, Sallalahu aleihi wa sallam. Talkis10

(maybe I should make a poll to see whom you think will be faster : me typing or Ramadan coming ? confused computer I may just look like this sos when I finish !!! hehe

stars stars
Back to top Go down
http://easelandink.forumotion.com
Founder
Librarian.
Librarian.
Founder

Fasting in Ramadan, as observed by the Prophet, Sallalahu aleihi wa sallam. Empty
PostSubject: Chapter 1 - The Virtues of Fasting   Fasting in Ramadan, as observed by the Prophet, Sallalahu aleihi wa sallam. EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 4:13 am

Assalamu aleikoum

The Virtues of Fasting
rosebar

Clear and decisive verses in the Noble Book of Allah encourage fasting as a means of seeking nearness to Allah the Mighty and Majestic, and explain its virtues, such as in the saying of Allah, the Most High:

35 إِنَّ الْمُسْلِمِينَ وَالْمُسْلِمَاتِ وَالْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَالْمُؤْمِنَاتِ وَالْقَانِتِينَ وَالْقَانِتَاتِ وَالصَّادِقِينَ وَالصَّادِقَاتِ وَالصَّابِرِينَ وَالصَّابِرَاتِ وَالْخَاشِعِينَ وَالْخَاشِعَاتِ وَالْمُتَصَدِّقِينَ وَالْمُتَصَدِّقَاتِ وَالصَّائِمِينَ وَالصَّائِمَاتِ وَالْحَافِظِينَ فُرُوجَهُمْ وَالْحَافِظَاتِ وَالذَّاكِرِينَ اللَّهَ كَثِيرًا وَالذَّاكِرَاتِ أَعَدَّ اللَّهُ لَهُم مَّغْفِرَةً وَأَجْرًا عَظِيمًا

Verily, the Muslims (those who submit to Allah in Islam) men and women, the believers men and women (who believe in Islamic Monotheism), the men and the women who are obedient (to Allah), the men and women who are truthful (in their speech and deeds), the men and the women who are patient (in performing all the duties which Allah has ordered and in abstaining from all that Allah has forbidden), the men and the women who are humble (before their Lord - Allah), the men and the women who give Sadaqat (i.e. Zakat, and alms), the men and the women who observe Saum (fast) (the obligatory fasting during the month of Ramadan, and the optional Nawafil fasting), the men and the women who guard their chastity (from illegal sexual acts) and the men and the women who remember Allah much with their hearts and tongues Allah has prepared for them forgiveness and a great reward (i.e. Paradise).
(Surah Al Ahzab (33), ayah 35)

Allah the Majestic, says :

وَأَن تَصُومُوا خَيْرٌ لَّكُمْ ۖ إِن كُنتُمْ تَعْلَمُونَ
''...and fast, it is better for you, if only you knew.''
Surah Al-Baqarah (2), end of ayah 184

Allah's Messenger Sallalahu aleihi wa explained in the established Sunnah that fasting is protection from desires, a shield from the Fire, and that Allah has particularised one of the gates of Paradise for it. It will lead the soul away from its desires, and prevent it from those things which it has come to find attractive, so that it becomes tranquil. This great reward and huge blessing is explained beautifully and fully in the following authentic hadith.

rosebar

right arrow Fasting is a shield

Allah's Messenger Sallalahu aleihi wa ordered the one who has strong desires and the need for marriage, but is unable to marry, to fast. He, Sallalahu aleihi wa, declared it as a means of cutting off the desires, since it reduces the vigour of the limbs of the body, calms them and bridles them. It is established that it has a great effect in preserving the limbs and organs, we therefore find that he, Sallalahu aleihi wa , said:''O youths, whoever amongst you is able to marry, then let him do so, since it restrains the eyes and protects the private parts, and he who is unable, then let him fast because it is a shield for him''.
(Reported by al-Bukhari and Muslim from Ibn Mas'ood)

Allah's Messenger Sallalahu aleihi wa also informed us of how Paradise is surrounded by hardships and that the Fire is surrounded by desires. So when you know, O Muslim, that fasting subdues the desires and reduces their severity, and that it is these which lead to the Fire, then you will see how fasting comes between a fasting person and the Fire. There are clear hadith stating that fasting is a protection from the Fire and a shield by which the servant may protect himself from it.

He Sallalahu aleihi wa said: '' there is not a servant who fasts a day in the way of Allah, except that Allah removes his face from the Fire by the distance of seventy years because of that.''
(Reported by Al Bukhari (6/35) and Muslim (no1153)

He, Sallalahu aleihi wa said: ''Fasting is a shield with which a servant protects himself from the Fire''. (reported by Ahmad (3/241, 296) from Jabir, and Ahmad (4/22) from Uthaman Ibn Al-'Aas and the hadith is sahih.

He, Sallalahu aleihi wa , said: ''Whoever fasts a day in the way of Allah, Allah will place between him and the Fire a trench like that between the heavens and the earth.'' (Reported by at-Tirmidhi (No 1624 from the hadith of Abu Umamah, and its chain of narration contains some weakness - al Walid ibn Jamil is sadooq (truthful, with fair memory) but he makes mistakes. However, he is supported, since at-Tabarani reports in al-Kabeer (8/260, 273, 280) by way of two chains from al-Qaasim from Abu Umamah. Its like is also reported from Abu Darda' by at-Tabarani in [i]as-sagheer (1/273) - and it contains weakness. So, the hadith is sahih.

Some scholars hold that these hadith refer to the excellence of fasting whilst fighting jihad in the way of Allah. However what is apparent is that every fast that is done sincerely, seeking the Face of Allah, Subhanahu wa ta\'ala , in the way that was explained by Allah's Messenger Sallalahu aleihi wa, is in the way of Allaah.

rosebar

to be continued Insha'Allah
Back to top Go down
Founder
Librarian.
Librarian.
Founder

PostSubject: Fasting causes one to enter Paradise   Fasting in Ramadan, as observed by the Prophet, Sallalahu aleihi wa sallam. EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 4:31 pm

Bismillah large

As Salamu Alaikum

rosebar

Continuing Chapter 1 - Virtues of Fasting

right arrow Fasting causes one to enter Paradise

Obedient servant: may Allah grant that you are obedient to Him, and may He aid you, you have come to know that fasting distances a person from the Fire and it therefore causes him to draw closer to the midst of Paradise. Abu Umamah, radiyallahu anhu , said: I said : ''O Messenger of Allah tell me of an action by which I may enter Paradise.'' He said: ''Take to Fasting, there is nothing like it''. (reported by an-Nasaa'ee (4/165), Ibn Hibban (p.232 of al-Mawarid), and al-Hakim (1/421), its chain of narration is saheeh)

right arrow The people who fast are rewarded with immense reward

A great reward awaits the person who fasts, he experiences joy twice - once in this world and once in the hereafter, and even the smell coming from his mouth is better with Allah than the smell of musk.

Abu Hurayrah, radiyallahu anhu , said: Allah's Messenger Sallalahu aleihi wa said: ''Allah said that all of the actions of the son of Adam are for him, except for fasting, for it is for Me and I will recompense it. Fasting is a shield, and when it is the day when one of you fasts, then let him not speak indecently or argue, and if anyone abuses or seeks to fight him then let him say,'I am fasting'. By Him whose Hand is the soul of Muhammad the smell coming from the mouth of the fasting person is better with Allah than the smell of the musk. For the fasting person there are two times of joy; when he breaks his fast he is happy and when he meets his Lord he is happy due to his fasting.'' (Reported by al-Bukhari (4/118) and Muslim (no 1151), the wording is that of al-Bukhari)

In a narration of Muslim reported by al-Bukhari, there occurs : ''.... He abandons his food and drink and desires because of Me and I will grant recompense for it, and a good deed is rewarded ten times over.''

In a narration of Muslim there occurs: ''Every action the son of Adam is given manifold reward, each good deed receiving ten times its like, up to seven hundred times. Allah the Most High said, ''Except for fasting, for it is for Me and I will give recompense for it, he leaves off his desires and his food for Me.' For the fasting person there are two times of joy; a time of joy when he breaks his fast and a time of joy when he meets his Lord, and the smell coming from the mouth of the fasting person is better than the smell of musk.''

rosebar

right arrow Fasting and the Quran intercede for a person

He, Sallalahu aleihi wa , said: ''Fasting and the Quran intercede for the servant on the Day of Resurrection. Fasting will say: O my Lord! I prevented him from food and desires so accept my intercession for him, and the Quran will say: I prevented him from sleep at night, so accept my intercession for him, so their intercession will be accepted.'' (reported by Ahmad (No 6626), al-Hakim (1/554). Abu Nu'aim (8/161) and others from Abdullah ibn Amr, and its chain is hasan)

rosebar

to be continued Inshallah....
Back to top Go down
Founder
Librarian.
Librarian.
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Fasting in Ramadan, as observed by the Prophet, Sallalahu aleihi wa sallam.   Fasting in Ramadan, as observed by the Prophet, Sallalahu aleihi wa sallam. EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 11:25 pm

bismillah4

Bismillah ar Rahman ir Raheem

As Salamu Alaikum

rosebar

Continuing chapter 1 - The Virtues of Fasting

rosebar

right arrow Fasting in an expiation for various sins

Amongst those virtues which are particular to fasting is that Allaah has made an expiation for:

(a) Shaving the head whilst in a state of ihraam for one who does that due to some illness.

(b) One who is unable to carry out the obligatory sacrifice

(c) Accidentally killing one of a people with whom you have a treaty

(d) Hunting game whilst in a state of ihraam

(e) Violating an oath

(f) dhihaar 10
(dhihaar: this the saying of the husband to his wife: You are to me like the back of my mother - i.e. unlawful for me)

All this is explained in the following Aayaat:

196 وَأَتِمُّوا الْحَجَّ وَالْعُمْرَةَ لِلَّهِ ۚ فَإِنْ أُحْصِرْتُمْ فَمَا اسْتَيْسَرَ مِنَ الْهَدْيِ ۖ وَلَا تَحْلِقُوا رُءُوسَكُمْ حَتَّىٰ يَبْلُغَ الْهَدْيُ مَحِلَّهُ ۚ فَمَن كَانَ مِنكُم مَّرِيضًا أَوْ بِهِ أَذًى مِّن رَّأْسِهِ فَفِدْيَةٌ مِّن صِيَامٍ أَوْ صَدَقَةٍ أَوْ نُسُكٍ ۚ فَإِذَا أَمِنتُمْ فَمَن تَمَتَّعَ بِالْعُمْرَةِ إِلَى الْحَجِّ فَمَا اسْتَيْسَرَ مِنَ الْهَدْيِ ۚ فَمَن لَّمْ يَجِدْ فَصِيَامُ ثَلَاثَةِ أَيَّامٍ فِي الْحَجِّ وَسَبْعَةٍ إِذَا رَجَعْتُمْ ۗ تِلْكَ عَشَرَةٌ كَامِلَةٌ ۗ ذَ‌ٰلِكَ لِمَن لَّمْ يَكُنْ أَهْلُهُ حَاضِرِي الْمَسْجِدِ الْحَرَامِ ۚ وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ وَاعْلَمُوا أَنَّ اللَّهَ شَدِيدُ الْعِقَابِ

And perform properly (i.e. all the ceremonies according to the ways of Prophet Muhammad Sallalahu aleihi wa ), the Hajj and 'Umrah (i.e. the pilgrimage to Makkah) for Allah. But if you are prevented (from completing them), sacrifice a Hady (animal, i.e. a sheep, a cow, or a camel) such as you can afford, and do not shave your heads until the Hady reaches the place of sacrifice. And whosoever of you is ill or has an ailment in his scalp (necessitating shaving), he must pay a Fidyah (ransom) of either observing Saum (fasts) (three days) or giving Sadaqah (charity - feeding six poor persons) or offering sacrifice (one sheep). Then if you are in safety and whosoever performs the 'Umrah in the months of Hajj before (performing) the Hajj, (i.e. Hajj-at-Tamattu' and Al-Qiran), he must slaughter a Hady such as he can afford, but if he cannot afford it, he should observe Saum (fasts) three days during the Hajj and seven days after his return (to his home), making ten days in all. This is for him whose family is not present at Al-Masjid-Al-Haram (i.e. non-resident of Makkah). And fear Allah much and know that Allah is Severe in punishment.

(surah Al Baqarah (2) Ayah 196)

rosebar

Allaah the Majestic says :

وَإِن كَانَ مِن قَوْمٍ بَيْنَكُمْ وَبَيْنَهُم مِّيثَاقٌ فَدِيَةٌ مُّسَلَّمَةٌ إِلَىٰ أَهْلِهِ وَتَحْرِيرُ رَقَبَةٍ مُّؤْمِنَةٍ ۖ فَمَن لَّمْ يَجِدْ فَصِيَامُ شَهْرَيْنِ مُتَتَابِعَيْنِ تَوْبَةً مِّنَ اللَّهِ ۗ وَكَانَ اللَّهُ عَلِيمًا حَكِيمًا

''...and if he (the one who was killed) belonged to a people with whom you have a treaty of mutual alliance, compensation (blood-money - Diya) must be paid to his family, and a believing slave must be freed. And whoso finds this (the penance of freeing a slave) beyond his means, he must fast for two consecutive months in order to seek repentance from Allah. And Allah is Ever All-Knowing, All-Wise.''

(Suratun-Nisaa (4) Ayaah 92 )

rosebar

Allaah the All-Hearing and All-Knowing said:

89 لَا يُؤَاخِذُكُمُ اللَّهُ بِاللَّغْوِ فِي أَيْمَانِكُمْ وَلَـٰكِن يُؤَاخِذُكُم بِمَا عَقَّدتُّمُ الْأَيْمَانَ ۖ فَكَفَّارَتُهُ إِطْعَامُ عَشَرَةِ مَسَاكِينَ مِنْ أَوْسَطِ مَا تُطْعِمُونَ أَهْلِيكُمْ أَوْ كِسْوَتُهُمْ أَوْ تَحْرِيرُ رَقَبَةٍ ۖ فَمَن لَّمْ يَجِدْ فَصِيَامُ ثَلَاثَةِ أَيَّامٍ ۚ ذَ‌ٰلِكَ كَفَّارَةُ أَيْمَانِكُمْ إِذَا حَلَفْتُمْ ۚ وَاحْفَظُوا أَيْمَانَكُمْ ۚ كَذَ‌ٰلِكَ يُبَيِّنُ اللَّهُ لَكُمْ آيَاتِهِ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَشْكُرُونَ

Allah will not punish you for what is unintentional in your oaths, but He will punish you for your deliberate oaths; for its expiation feed ten Masakin (poor persons), on a scale of the average of that with which you feed your own families, or clothe them or manumit a slave. But whosoever cannot afford (that), then he should fast for three days. That is the expiation for the oaths when you have sworn . And protect your oaths (i.e. do not swear much) . Thus Allah make clear to you His Ayat (proofs, evidence, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) that you may be grateful.

Suratul Maidah (5) Ayah 89

rosebar

The Mighty and the Wise says:

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا لَا تَقْتُلُوا الصَّيْدَ وَأَنتُمْ حُرُمٌ ۚ وَمَن قَتَلَهُ مِنكُم مُّتَعَمِّدًا فَجَزَاءٌ مِّثْلُ مَا قَتَلَ مِنَ النَّعَمِ يَحْكُمُ بِهِ ذَوَا عَدْلٍ مِّنكُمْ هَدْيًا بَالِغَ الْكَعْبَةِ أَوْ كَفَّارَةٌ طَعَامُ مَسَاكِينَ أَوْ عَدْلُ ذَ‌ٰلِكَ صِيَامًا لِّيَذُوقَ وَبَالَ أَمْرِهِ ۗ عَفَا اللَّهُ عَمَّا سَلَفَ ۚ وَمَنْ عَادَ فَيَنتَقِمُ اللَّهُ مِنْهُ ۗ وَاللَّهُ عَزِيزٌ ذُو انتِقَامٍ

O you who believe! Kill not the game while you are in a state of Ihram [for Hajj or 'Umrah (pilgrimage)], and whosoever of you kills it intentionally, the penalty is an offering, brought to the Ka'bah, of an eatable animal (i.e. sheep, goat, cow) equivalent to the one he killed, as adjudged by two just men among you; or, for expiation, he should feed Masakin (poor persons), or its equivalent in Saum (fasting), that he may taste the heaviness (punishment) of his deed. Allah has forgiven what is past, but whosoever commits it again, Allah will take retribution from him. And Allah is All-Mighty, All-Able of Retribution.

Suratul-Maidah (5) Ayah 95

rosebar

to be continued Inshallah

Last edited by BookLover on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:36 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : adding the meaning of ''dhihaar'' and correct typos!)
Back to top Go down
Founder
Librarian.
Librarian.
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Fasting in Ramadan, as observed by the Prophet, Sallalahu aleihi wa sallam.   Fasting in Ramadan, as observed by the Prophet, Sallalahu aleihi wa sallam. EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 11:27 pm

As Salamu Alaikum

rosebar

Continuing chapter 1 - The Virtues of Fasting

rosebar

And the One who kows everything and is fully aware of even the most hidden affairs says:

3 وَالَّذِينَ يُظَاهِرُونَ مِن نِّسَائِهِمْ ثُمَّ يَعُودُونَ لِمَا قَالُوا فَتَحْرِيرُ رَقَبَةٍ مِّن قَبْلِ أَن يَتَمَاسَّا ۚ ذَ‌ٰلِكُمْ تُوعَظُونَ بِهِ ۚ وَاللَّهُ بِمَا تَعْمَلُونَ خَبِيرٌ
4 فَمَن لَّمْ يَجِدْ فَصِيَامُ شَهْرَيْنِ مُتَتَابِعَيْنِ مِن قَبْلِ أَن يَتَمَاسَّا ۖ فَمَن لَّمْ يَسْتَطِعْ فَإِطْعَامُ سِتِّينَ مِسْكِينًا ۚ ذَ‌ٰلِكَ لِتُؤْمِنُوا بِاللَّهِ وَرَسُولِهِ ۚ وَتِلْكَ حُدُودُ اللَّهِ ۗ وَلِلْكَافِرِينَ عَذَابٌ أَلِيمٌ

And those who make unlawful to them their wives by dhihaar and wish to free themselves from what they uttered, (the penalty) in that case is the freeing of a slave before they touch each other. That is an admonition to you (so that you may not repeat such an ill thing). And Allah is All-Aware of what you do.
And he who finds not (the money for freeing a slave) must fast two successive months before they both touch each other. And he who is unable to do so, should feed sixty Miskins (poor). That is in order that you may have perfect Faith in Allah and His Messenger. These are the limits set by Allah. And for disbelievers, there is a painful torment.
(Suratul-Mujaadilah (58) Ayah 3-4)

rosebar

Likewise fasting, (prayer) and charity wipe away the evils caused for a man through his wealth, family and neighbour:
From Hudhaifah ibn al-Yamaan, radiyallahu anhu , who said: He, Sallalahu aleihi wa , said: ''The evils caused for a man through his family, wealth and neighbour are expiated by prayer, fasting and charity''.
(reported by Al Bukhari (2/7) and Muslim (No 144)

rosebar

right arrow Ar-Rayyaan is for those who fast

From Sahl ibn Sa'd, radiyallahu anhu : that the Prophet, Sallalahu aleihi wa , said:'' Indeed there is a gate of Paradise called ar-Rayyan. On the day of Resurrection, those who fast will enter through it; no one enters it except for them, and when they have entered, it is closed so that no one enters it, [so when the last of them enters it, it is closed and whoever enters it drinks, and whoever drinks never become thirsty]''.
(Reported by Al Bukhari (4/95) and Muslim (No 1152) and the final addition is reported by Ibn Khuzaimah in his Saheeh (No1903))

rosebar

to be continued Inshallah
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fasting in Ramadan, as observed by the Prophet, Sallalahu aleihi wa sallam.   Fasting in Ramadan, as observed by the Prophet, Sallalahu aleihi wa sallam. Empty

Back to top Go down

Fasting in Ramadan, as observed by the Prophet, Sallalahu aleihi wa sallam.
Page 1 of 1