The Wonderful Library & Islamic Resource Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wonderful Library & Islamic Resource Center

World of Islamic Dawah: Islamic Library & Resource Center

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

As-Salaamu alaikum and welcome readers. Please check our Portal for regular updates and news. Dear readers, you may have noticed that some of our graphics are not showing. We are busy updating broken links and would like to apologise for any inconvenience.

We sincerely apologize for the Advertisements which are beyond our control. May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala forgive us for our shortcomings.

Why not try our Weekly Islamic Quiz?

Az-Zakah on Wealth that is kept for Marriage

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zaza
Librarian
Librarian
Zaza

Az-Zakah on Wealth that is kept for Marriage Empty
PostSubject: Az-Zakah on Wealth that is kept for Marriage   Az-Zakah on Wealth that is kept for Marriage EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 9:20 pm

As Salamu Alaikum

Question

A man saved some money for his son over a number of years so that the son can get married. Is he obliged to pay any Zakah on this wealth of his? This is in consideration of the fact that he does not intend anything with this money other than getting his son married.

Answer

He must pay Az-Zakah on all of the money that he saved if it was in his possession for a year, even if he intended to use this money to get his son married. This is because as long as the money was with him and it was considered his possession, and he must pay its Zakah every year until it is used for the marriage. This is due to the generality of the evidences from the Book and the Sunnah that prove this.

Shaikh Ibn Baz (Rahimahullah)

Reference: Fatawa Islamiyah Volume 3 Page 159

Back to top Go down
Zaza
Librarian
Librarian
Zaza

Az-Zakah on Wealth that is kept for Marriage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Az-Zakah on Wealth that is kept for Marriage   Az-Zakah on Wealth that is kept for Marriage EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 9:23 pm

:salamou:

Question

I am currently an employee in one of the governmental departments and I receive approximately four thousand riyals per month. In approximately one year, I collected seventeen thousand riyals. This money is currently in the bank and it does not increase (i.e., from interest or investment). I am ready to spend in the month of Shawwal – if Allah wills – as I am getting married. I am going to take a loan that is many times more than this amount to cover the expenses of the wedding. My question is: Am I obliged to pay any Zakah on this seventeen thousand? This is while considering that it has been in my possession for about a year. If there is Az-Zakah due on it, how much is it?

Answer

Az-Zakah is due on the mentioned sum of money if it was possessed for a year, even if it was kept for marriage. The amount of Zakah that is due is one fortieth, i.e., 2.5%. And Allah knows best.

Shaikh Ibn Baz (Rahimahullah)

Reference: Fatawa Islamiyah Volume 3 Pages 159-160

Back to top Go down

Az-Zakah on Wealth that is kept for Marriage
Page 1 of 1