تَبَّتۡ يَدَآ أَبِى لَهَبٍ۬ وَتَبَّ
مَآ أَغۡنَىٰ عَنۡهُ مَالُهُ ۥ وَمَا ڪَسَبَ
سَيَصۡلَىٰ نَارً۬ا ذَاتَ لَهَبٍ۬
وَٱمۡرَأَتُهُ ۥ حَمَّالَةَ ٱلۡحَطَبِ
فِى جِيدِهَا حَبۡلٌ۬ مِّن مَّسَدِۭ
1. Perish the two hands of Abu lahab and perish he!
2. His wealth and his children will not benefit him!
3. He will enter a fire full of flames.
4. And his wife too, who carries wood.
5. In her neck is a twisted rope of palm fiber.
In the first part of this sura is a supplication against one of the uncles (Abu Lahab) of the Prophet
, while the second part is information about him. Both he and his wife hated the Prophet
and scorned him and his religion. The Prophet
one day called the people together to warn them of a coming of a severe torment. Abu Lahab, his uncle, responded to the Prophet
'May you perish'. And thus, Allah
revealed this sura about him and his wife.
Tafsir Ibn Kathir, Volume 10, p.622-627.
Ma sha Allah,this surah explained in detail here in the book-room
New Words يَدَآ
his wife, woman حَبۡلٌ۬
neckListen, read and learn new words A l l a h s q u r a n.com
Read the mushaf here