The Wonderful Library & Islamic Resource Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wonderful Library & Islamic Resource Center

World of Islamic Dawah: Islamic Library & Resource Center

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

As-Salaamu alaikum and welcome readers. Please check our Portal for regular updates and news. Dear readers, you may have noticed that some of our graphics are not showing. We are busy updating broken links and would like to apologise for any inconvenience.

We sincerely apologize for the Advertisements which are beyond our control. May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala forgive us for our shortcomings.

Why not try our Weekly Islamic Quiz?

Surah An-Nasr (110)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zaza
Librarian
Librarian
Zaza

Surah An-Nasr (110) Empty
PostSubject: Surah An-Nasr (110)   Surah An-Nasr (110) EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 7:41 pm

As Salamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

Surah An-Nasr

Surah An-Nasr (110) Sur110impless

In the Name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful

1. When there comes the help of Allah and the Conquest.

2. And you see that the people enter in Allah's religion in crowds.

3. So, glorify the Praises of your Lord, and ask for His forgiveness. Verily, He is the One Who accepts the repentance and Who forgives.

Its Name

It is called Surah An-Nasr because it is a word that appears in the first verse. It literally means "help" and it is referring to Allah's help that caused the conquest of Makkah. It is also called Surat At-Tawdi' (farewell, because it suggests the parting of the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa from this world).

The Subject Matter Of This Surah

This Surah discusses the conquest of Makkah, through which Allah Almighty granted victory and honor to the Muslims. Islam then spread throughout the Arabian Peninsula, and ever so quickly, Shirk and misguidance were rooted out. With this conquest people entered into Allah's religion in crowds: the banner of Islam was raised and the religion of statues faded away. That the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa was informed about this conquest before it occurred is one of the clear signs that indicate the validity of his Prophethood.

Its Relation To What is Before It

In the previous Surah, Allah Almighty said that the religion that Muhammad Sallalahu aleihi wa was calling to was diametrically opposed to the religion of the disbelievers; here, Allah Almighty informs the disbelievers of Makkah that their religion will die away and that the religion called to by the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa will overcome it, and become the religion of the vast majority in their populated areas.

The Virtues Of This Surah
At-Tirmithi recorded a Hadith from Anas (Radhi Allahu Anhu), and he said that it was Hasan. In it the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa said:

It (An-Nasr) is equivalent to one quarter of the Qur'an.

In What Context Was This Surah Revealed

Al-Bukhari and others recorded that Ibn 'Abbas (Radhi Allahu Anhu) said, "Umar bin Al-Khattab used to make me sit with the elderly men who fought in the Battle of Badr. Some of them were uncomfortable with that and said to 'Umar, 'Why do you bring this boy to sit with us while we have sons like him?' One day, 'Umar called me and made me sit in the gathering of those people; and I think that he called me just to show them. 'Umar then asked them, 'What do you say about the interpretation of the saying of Allah:

When there comes the help of Allah and the Conquest' (Ayah 1)

Some of them said, 'We are ordered to praise Allah and ask His forgiveness when Allah's help and Conquest comes to us.' Some others kept quiet and did not say anything. On that, 'Umar asked me, 'Do you say the same, 0 Ibn 'Abbas?' I replied, 'No.' He asked, 'What do you say then?' I replied, 'That is the sign of the death of Allah's Messenger Sallalahu aleihi wa which Allah informed him of. Allah said:

When there comes the Help of Allah and the Conquest. So glorify the praises of your Lord and ask His forgiveness. He is the One Who accepts the repentance and forgives.'(Ayat 1-3)

With that, 'Umar (Radhi Allahu Anhu) said, 'I do not know anything about it other than what you have said.'"

The Meanings of its Words

Itha jaa'a Nasrullahi:
i.e., when Allah makes His Prophet Muhammad Sallalahu aleihi wa victorious over his enemies - the polytheists.

Ai-Fath:
i.e., the conquest of Makkah.

Fee Deenillahi:
Allah's religion, i.e., Islam.

Afwaaja:
In many packed crowds.

Fasabbih Bihamdi Rabbika:
Glorify Allah Almighty, considering Him far above having a partner, and at the same time, praise Him.

Astaghfirhu:
Repent to Allah Almighty and ask Him to forgive you.

Tawwaaba:
i.e., Allah Almighty often accepts the repentance of His worshippers.

The Meaning in Summary

This Surah first gives glad tidings of a great event with far reaching implications and then gives the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa certain commands to follow when that event takes place. At the same time, Allah Almighty alludes to some of the results of that event.
The glad tidings are for Allah's help to the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa , the conquest of Makkah, and the mass acceptance of Islam, when throngs upon throngs of people will enter the religion, many of whom were previously its enemies. All of those blessed events took place.

Upon the realization of the conquest, Allah Almighty ordered the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa to thank Him, glorify Him, praise Him, and ask His forgiveness. Then there are two matters that Allah Almighty alludes to:

1. That the victory of the religion will continue and increase with the Prophet's glorification and praising of Allah Almighty; and with his asking for Allah's forgiveness. Allah Almighty says:

If you give thanks, I will give you more. Surah Ibrahim 14:7)

This was seen during and after the period of the rightly-guided caliphs, which is why Allah's help continued, so that the boundaries of Islam expanded to a size unsurpassed by any other religion in history. And there were peoples who entered the fold of Islam, who had previously resisted entering any other religion. But only when Muslims abandoned Allah's commands and divided into groups did well-known events take place that signified something of a decline for Muslims. Nonetheless, Allah's favors and mercy for this nation and religion have reached high levels that surpassed anyone's expectations and dreams.

2. That the Prophet's death is near. His life was a most superior one, and in Islam, all superior matters end with asking forgiveness from Allah Subhanahu wa ta\'ala such as in the prayer and Hajj. By ordering the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa to praise Him and seek forgiveness from Him, Allah Almighty hints to his death, and suggests that he should prepare to meet his Lord. So the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa ended his life on the highest of notes - may Allah's blessings and peace be upon him. When bowing and prostrating, he Sallalahu aleihi wa would say, "How perfect You are, o Allah, our Lord, and I praise you. 0 Allah, forgive me."

What Can Be Derived From These Verses

1) It is legislated to inform others of someone's death, but not in the way of an announcement and not in a loud voice.

2) When a blessing is realized for us, we must be thankful to Allah Almighty; one way of doing so is to make the prostration for thankfulness.

3) When bowing or prostrating in the prayer, it is legislated to say, "How perfect You are, 0 Allah, our Lord, and I praise you. 0 Allah, forgive me."

4) Allah's religion is Islam, for He said:

Truly, the religion with Allah Almighty is Islam. (Surah Aal-Imran 3:19)

And, He said:

And whoever seeks the religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him. (Surah Aal-Imran 3:85)

5) We appreciate the virtues of saying "Subhaanallah (How perfect Allah is!)" and "Alhamduli/lah (All praise is for Allah)" when we consider this: To glorify and praise Allah Almighty was enough for the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa and his nation to fulfill what was incumbent upon them in terms of showing thankfulness for the blessings of the victory and conquest.

Surah An-Nasr (110) Div06
Back to top Go down

Surah An-Nasr (110)
Page 1 of 1